The research service
To complement the information retrieval of the online version, researchers can use the Windows based Katiha program in the Provincial Archives of Mikkeli. All information that has been entered into the Karjala database to date, from the late 1600s up to the year 1950, is available via the so-called Katiha computers in the research room of the archives.
Using the program Katiha (as well as its online version), you can search for information for use both in genealogy and in other population history research, since you also can search for people based on their place of residence or occupation. You can also view the search results by volume, i.e. search for any information about a person that can be found in a certain volume.
You can also order directories, accounts and records of the entered information from the Karjala database. Additionally, small programming projects can be done on the basis of the research questions. The staff at the Karjala Database Foundation is happy to assist you with resolving problems regarding research in families from the east of Finland and with mapping the source material.
Historical material in the database which is more than 100 years old, can also be found on the website of the Genealogy Society of Finland.
Examples of research topics where the Karjala database can be used as a source:
1. Name Stocks Research
- Variation of personal and place name stocks within an area, change of name stocks within a certain time period
- Where to and from where did people move? Where did they find their husbands/wives?
- Family networks
3. Social History
- How did industrialisation influence professional titles and women´s work situations?
- Did the knowledge markings in the confirmation books predict the future of people?
- How was the social position inherited down the generations in different groups in the community?
- Research in social rise and fall
- Family structures
4. Population History Research
- Variations in fertility and mortality, child mortality and its reduction
- The population age distribution in different parishes
- Causes of death and inherited diseases
5. Personal History
Depending on the research topic, records such as; court records, tax records, maps, etc. can be good research material in addition to the parish church books´ information on the population. The Provincial Archives in Mikkeli offer many good research sources, including municipal archives of the ceded areas.
Price list of services
Independent use of the information (including a short tutorial) is free of charge to all researchers. The following prices may however, apply for information:
|Katiha tutoring||30 euros/h||tutorial|
|Information retrieval||40 euros/h||search service for family information|
|Genealogy||50 euros/h||information on past/future generations|
|Extra service||by agreement||custom work order|