The research service
Besides the online version researchers can use the Windows based Katiha program in the research room of the National Archives in Mikkeli. So all information that has been entered into the Karjala database from the late 1600s up to the year 1950 is available to use in Mikkeli.
Using the program Katiha (as well as its online version), you can search for information for use both in genealogy and in other population history research, since you also can search for people based on their place of residence or occupation. You can also view the search results by volume, i.e. search for any information about a person that can be found in a certain volume.
Historical material in the database which is more than 100 years old, can also be found on the website of the Genealogy Society of Finland.
Examples of research topics where the Karjala database can be used as a source:
1. Name Stocks Research
- Variation of personal and place name stocks within an area, change of name stocks within a certain time period
- Where to and from where did people move? Where did they find their husbands/wives?
- Family networks
3. Social History
- How did industrialisation influence professional titles and women´s work situations?
- Did the knowledge markings in the confirmation books predict the future of people?
- How was the social position inherited down the generations in different groups in the community?
- Research in social rise and fall
- Family structures
4. Population History Research
- Variations in fertility and mortality, child mortality and its reduction
- The population age distribution in different parishes
- Causes of death and inherited diseases
5. Personal History
Depending on the research topic, records such as; court records, tax records, maps, etc. can be good research material in addition to the parish church books´ information on the population. The National Archives in Mikkeli offer many good research sources, including municipal archives of the ceded areas.