The operations of the Karjala database is maintained by the Karjala Database Foundation. The foundation´s purpose is to promote the availablity of population register information from the ceded Karelia for research, to promote research on the Karelian population and to support the archive administration´s operations.
The city of Mikkeli, the Finnish Karelian League, and representatives from University of Eastern Finland, from University of Jyväskylä, from the Finnish Ecumenical Council, from the provincial archives of Mikkeli, from the Genealogy Society of Finland and from the Population Register Centre serve as members of the board of the Foundation.
Jarmo Saarti, the head of the University of Eastern Finland´s library is the chairman of the Karjala Database Foundation.
Tytti Voutilainen, the head of the provincial archives of Mikkeli is vice chairman of the Karjala Database Foundation.
Other members of the board
In addition to the chairman and vice chairman, the Karjala Database Foundation board in 2012 and 2013 consists of :
- Häkkänen Markku, Väestörekisterikeskus, Mikkelin maistraatti
- Hyytiä Kalevi, the Karelian League
- Koponen Marjo, city of Mikkeli
- Korpela Jukka, University of Eastern Finland
- Kuitunen Soile, city of Mikkeli
- Kuusiluoma Pasi, the Genealogical Association of Finland
- Ryökäs Riikka, the Ecumenical Council of the Evengelical Lutheran Church of Finland
- Sidoroff Johannes, the Karelian League
- Vilkuna Kustaa H. J., University of Jyväskylä
The project manager for Karjala database is Jari Ropponen.
The information technology planner for the Karjala database is Satu Soivanen.
Päivi Skyttä is a project worker working as a researcher for the Karjala database.
The secretary for the Karjala database is Kirsti Uski.